Training site accreditation key facts:
- Directors of Emergency Medicine (DEMs) or Directors of Emergency Medicine Training (DEMTs) must familiarise themselves with the accreditation requirements
- Applications must be submitted electronically
- Sites are accredited for five years
- ACEM instigates re-assessment after five years
- Sites may be selected for ad-hoc focussed inspections
- The ACEM Accreditation Subcommittee oversees accreditation of training sites.
How to get a site accredited for training
What is the process?
New accreditation requirements for emergency medicine (EM) specialist training providers are now in place. Find more information in FAQs.
The table below outlines the process and accreditation requirements for each accreditation category:
Has your training site been selected for a Focused Inspection?
The College may initiate a Focused Investigation at any point within the five-year cycle of an accredited site. This may include a site visit. This is usually in response to issues identified through the monitoring of accreditation conditions, the review of College data, or other substantiated avenues. However, any accredited site can be the subject of a Focused Inspection.
Where sufficient cause is identified, the College may investigate the performance of a site with respect to specifically identified accreditation requirements. This may be via phone, written correspondence, or other methods of communication.
If your site has been notified that a Focussed Inspection is required, the College's Accreditation Team will be in contact to organise the inspection. You can contact the accreditation team for further details about this process:
e: [email protected]
t: +61 3 9320 0407
Routine site inspections
For all routine inspections, the accreditation team will be in contact:
Changing the duration of Advanced Training Time site limit
If your site would like to vary the duration of the Advanced Training Time site limit at any point during the five-year cycle:
- Submit a letter addressed to the chair of the Accreditation Subcommittee applying for the change
- Submit an updated AC548 FACEM Training Program Site Accreditation - Application
- The Accreditation Subcommittee will assess the request and respond within eight weeks of receipt of the application
- If the Subcommittee approves the application to proceed, a site visit may be conducted to make a final determination on the application.
Where can I find the application form, Standards Requirements and Process Guide?
How do I apply for accreditation?
You are required to submit an application form and self-assess to show all standards are met. Supporting documents as evidence that a requirement is met will also be required but please note the maximum number of attachments accepted is 20 in total. If you submit more than 20 attachments, the application may be return to you for amendment.
- The completed application form AC548 in “.doc” format.
- Six months previous rosters and three months future rosters with clear legends to decipher rosters including FACEM trainees and FACEM consultants clearly identified (new sites may provide proposed rosters).
- List of FACEMs and their FTEs and Clinical Support Time.
- List of all PEMs for PED application.
- Orientation Manual.
- Education Program for last 12 months with name of presenter and with clear descriptions of specific topics, including Primary and Fellowship examination preparation program.
- Attendance record for the education program.
- CVs of DEM, DEMT, local WBA coordinator.
- CV of Network DEMT if applying as an EMTN.
- If applying as a new linked-ED, a formal letter from the host hospital confirming agreement.
Please do not submit Hospital Policies and Manuals (apart from the Orientation manual) with your application. However it is expected they will be made available for the inspectors at the inspection.
Apart from the AC548 Application form (which must be submitted in Microsoft Word format), all supporting documents must be submitted as PDFs.
The College will provide these data to the inspectors which you do not need to submit:
- WBA reports
- ACEM Annual Site Census (unless there has been updates to these details)
- Examination Reports
How to fill in the application form – AC548?
Description on how each requirement is met
It is advised that you be brief but be descriptive. The intent is for the inspectors to be able to glean enough information to determine whether a requirement is met. Please do not only just state “Refer to attachment xxx” with no other description else the application may be return to you for amendment.
The required supporting documents
The supporting document is to corroborate what is written about how the particular requirement is met.
Clearly number and name the documents appropriately to make it easy for the inspectors to refer to
- Eg 1-Clinical Rosters-Jan-June-2017
- 2-List of FACEMs FTE
If you are zipping your documents please do not include zipped files within zipped files.
Some spreadsheets may contain macros and your organisation may not allow them to be sent as email attachments; hence our advice to send all attachments as PDFs.
View a sample filled in appilcation.
Where to I send my application?
Applications has to be submitted online to [email protected]. No hard copy application will be accepted.
What if the files are too large?
Please contact the accreditation team to arrange a suitable alternative to emails. Some alternative that can be arranged includes:
- Zipping up the documents.
- Setting up Dropbox folder(s) and sharing it/them with the accreditation team.
- Google Docs.
Please notify the accreditation team if you are using any other alternative via [email protected].
What if I am already accredited and only wants to apply for an increase/decrease in Advanced Training time? Do I still need to complete the full application?
Yes. For any variation to your accreditation status, you will be required to complete and submit an application.