As a Fellow of ACEM you:
- Officially become a recognised specialist in Emergency Medicine
- Have the support, collaboration and encouragement of the College throughout your Fellowship
- Are recognised for more senior roles in the ED
- Contribute to the advancement of Emergency Medicine in Australia and New Zealand
- Can use the post nominals FACEM
- Have exclusive access to ACEM digital resource hubs such as Best of Web EM Resources and eLearning, plus Corporate Traveller and the online-shopping Member Advantage Program.
Important to Note: your training in emergency medicine is not recognised as complete until it has been reviewed and approved by the College.
What is the process?
You need to apply for election to Fellowship for the process to begin.
Even if you pass the Fellowship Exams, you need to lodge your application, as endorsement by the Council of Education (COE) is required which may include a review of your FACEM Training history by the Regional WBA Panel.
Remember you need to continue with your Late Phase EM-WBAs - including complexity and rate of completion requirements - while awaiting the outcome of the Regional WBA Panel review. Don't commence a consultant role before officially becoming a FACEM.
If the WBA Panel determines that you have achieved the required standard of a new Fellow, your Fellowship application is scheduled for endorsement by (COE). If COE endorses your application, you'll become a Fellow.
The College then notifies either Medicare Australia or the MCNZ of your Fellowship.
How long does it take?
The process takes about six to eight weeks from when you have completed your last training requirement (including WBA Panel review) and ACEM has received your Election to Fellowship application form. You'll be formally advised in writing as soon as possible following the decision of the COE.
What you need to do
- Double check you’re eligible to apply for Fellowship. If you answer yes to these questions, you’re eligible:
- You’ve satisfactorily completed all training and assessment requirements of both Provisional Training and Advanced Training (including any WBA Panel reviews), as required by the College
- You hold current registration with the Medical Board of Australia (MBA) or the Medical Council of New Zealand (MCNZ)
- You have no outstanding fees due to the College.
- Fill out the TA168 Application for Election to Fellowship Form
- Pay the application fee as outlined in the application form
- Fill out and sign the COR529 Election to Fellowship Declaration
- Send a copy of the above documents with any attachments to [email protected] or mail the hardcopy to: Training Team, ACEM, 34 Jeffcott Street, West Melbourne, VICTORIA 3003.
My application was unsuccessful, what do I do now?
If your application to Fellowship of ACEM was unsuccessful, you can follow the process outlined on How to Withdraw, or Lodge and Appeal.
I’m now a FACEM, what do I do next?
Can I apply for registration in both Australia and New Zealand?
Yes. However, you will need to complete two separate applications, as outlined directly above.