The Medical Board of Australia’s revised Continuing Professional Development registration standards were approved in July 2021. The new standard will take effect from 1 January 2023.
ACEM has made the decision to implement the revised standards into their CPD program for the commencement of the 2022 CPD Year.
To meet the registration standard, in each calendar year you must:
- Meet the requirements of a CPD program of an accredited CPD home
- Develop a written annual professional development plan
- Complete a minimum of 50 hours per year of CPD activities relevant to your scope of practice and individual professional development needs
- Allocate your minimum 50 hours per year between the following types of CPD activities:
- At least 12.5 hours (25% of the minimum) in educational activities
- At least 25 hours (50% of the minimum) in activities focussed on reviewing performance and measuring outcomes, with a minimum of five hours for each category, and
- The remaining 12.5 hours (25% of the minimum) and any CPD activities over the 50-hour minimum across any of these types of CPD activity.
- Self-evaluate your CPD activity at the end of the year as you prepare your professional development plan for the next year.
- Retain records of your annual CPD activity for audit by your CPD home and the Board for three years after the end of each one-year cycle.
These changes to CPD are an important part of the Medical Board of Australia’s Professional Performance Framework.