Australasian College for Emergency Medicine (ACEM) and the Australian Volunteers Program (an Australian Government initiative), are now working in partnership to support the Visiting Emergency Medical Registrar Program (VEMRP).
If you are an ACEM trainee and completed Provisional Training and Advanced Training Stage 1, are PGY5 or above, have some paediatric and anaesthetic/Intensive Care Unit (ICU) experience, an Australian citizen/permanent resident and have the following qualities:
- A desire to contribute to Global Emergency Care (GEC) capacity building and engagement in local led development.
- Commitment to team-work, coaching, and mentoring others.
- Awareness and sensitivity of cross-cultural settings.
- Patience, tolerance and flexibility.
- Ability to cope with cultural isolation and a different standard of living.
- A preparedness to work with limited resources within a challenging environment
You may be eligible to join this exciting Program.
Rotations under the VEMRP can be accredited towards your ACEM training (Individual training circumstance permitting).
As the VEMR, you will:
- Work clinically as a senior registrar to provide clinical education.
- Demonstrate clinical EM leadership.
- Be involved in clinical support, teaching and supervision, quality improvement, community health, and team-building activities.
- Support Emergency Care (EC) systems, process and policy development at the hospital level.
- Experience the value of 2-way learning.
Rotations are currently available in Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands and Vanuatu.
These roles are supported roles under the Australian Volunteers Program and managed by AVI. These include; pre-departure briefing, language training, flights, personal insurance, and return volunteer debriefing. A living and accommodation allowance is also provided. Technical Support for these roles is provided by ACEM.
These roles proudly adhere to the Australian Council for International Development's (ACFID) Practice Note on Responsible Volunteering for International Development.
Interested? Please contact: ACEM Global Emergency Care Desk at [email protected] for further information.