Prerequisite: You must be concurrently registered as a specialist training program trainee of both ACEM and the College of Intensive Care Medicine (CICM). This training is not a formal joint program but allows you to streamline training in both specialties.
Formal concurrent registration as a trainee with both CICM and ACEM is essential. This should be done as early as possible to maximise the opportunities for training components being accredited by both Colleges.
48 months of Advanced Training, made up of:
- 24 months of Advanced Training in emergency department(s) accredited by ACEM for emergency medicine training
- 24 months of non-ED training in posts approved by the Council of Education comprising:
- 12 months FTE intensive care medicine
- Six months FTE anaesthetics
- Six months FTE medicine.
How to vary your training program
Important to note
- Only at the point of application for election to Fellowship can you apply for the variation to the ACEM Advanced Training requirements
- Each College mandates and assesses the components of their individual training programs
- Retrospective recognition of prior training will not be accepted.
How to Apply
FACEM trainees who have completed concurrent training with CICM, may apply to have the standard Advanced Training requirements varied as follows:
- 24 months approved ED training will be required (rather than 30 ED months)
- 24 months approved non-ED training will be required (rather than 12 months non-ED and six months discretionary).
The substitution of six months ED training for six months non-ED training allows for completion of further six months in an approved medical term, which can also be counted towards CICM core requirements. The medical term must be completed and assessed while undertaking concurrent ACEM training. However, this substitution will not be accredited towards the FACEM qualification until completion of all dual training requirements.
Find more at How to Apply
Progression to Fellowship
For dual emergency and intensive care medicine trainees, the FACEM qualification will not be awarded prior to the completion of all dual training requirements that includes:
- Obtaining CICM Fellowship, including any variation to the CICM training requirements (as specified by CICM)
- Satisfactory completion of the FACEM Specialist Training Program, including any variation to Advanced Training (as detailed above).
Further information relating to CICM training requirements can be viewed on the CICM website.